Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fresh Meat: Week 1: Practice 1

So last night was my first night of Fresh Meat practice with the Lakeland Derby Dames. I had been awaiting that day for so long. Skating as much as I could and learning as much about roller derby as I could. I was pretty excited when I woke up at 9 yesterday morning knowing that in a few hours I would be a my first practice. However, as the day went on the excitement settled and nerves began to kick in. I could feel my stomach forming knots, my legs were trembling, and I couldn't focus on anything. I am not really sure what I was making me so nervous...I guess it was just a combination of things...Had I remembered to pack all of my gear, what would we be doing, was everyone going to be better than, were they going to be nice? I finally arrived at practice at 7:30 got all of my gear checked & paid my dues. Everything was good except I need to try and reform my mouth guard. Finally, 8:00 time for us to start practice. GB our fresh meat coach just had us start skating around in a circle for a bit, just to see our skill level out of the gate. She then when over double knee fall, derby position, and t-stops with us. We stretched, had very few water breaks, & skated around in a circle for what felt like forever. It was exhausting and to be honest a bit boring...I am sure it will get better. I got used to all of the fun drills that April and I were doing that just skating in a small for almost 2 hours isn't very fun. I know, I know, it's not supposed to be all that fun in the beginning...it's hard work! The one thing I am thankful for is that I am not sore....not even a little (well, except for that blister thing on my toe). I guess all of the skating and working out I have done for the past 1.5 months has paid off. I am looking forward to Wednesdays practice and what it may bring with it.

No comments: